Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11th, Part Two

I know I just made a post about ten minutes ago, but I felt the urge to blog again. And really, when I feel like I want to write, I just have to run with it, because I know I usually don't wanna.

A quote, an important one: We all start out with the same alphabet. We are all unique. Talent is not the most important thing --- discipline and dedication are. Craft can be learned but desire and longing are innate. Despite the demands of school and just being young, try to write SOMETHING every day --- a description, a captured emotion, a simile, a metaphor. Read, for crying out loud! A writer must read the way a ball player must go to the ballfield every day to practice. Everything is possible in this world of ours--- and so's publication.
- Robert Cormier, answering the question "What advice do you give to young people who want to be authors?"

And I don't even have a voice.

Despite the previous rant on essays, I didn't (completely) forget what day it is. I know. And it's sad. But at the same time, I don't know, because I was more than half my age at the time, and frankly, it's on the other side of the country. So while I do recognize the tragedy that occured on this date 8 years ago, I don't quite know what to feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment